Hawaii-Licensed RME (HAR §16-77-28)


Construction contracting in Hawaii requires that contracting entities hold a license to practice, and that each entity have an RME (Responsible Managing Employee). To become an RME, one must qualify, apply, be approved, schedule, sit for, pass, and then be notified by the Contractor’s License Board of Active status. This process takes months.

To save time, many contractors instead will apply for company licensure and then find a suitable RME to “manage” the work and ensure compliance with the Contractor’s Licensing Board.

Scott W. Jennings holds a current, valid & in good standing ABC license (see license status here) in the state of Hawaii (License ID: CT-25856). Contractors may apply for licensure and use Mr. Jennings as their RME.

With an “A” general engineering license and a “B” general building license, many other “C” licenses are included.  See below.

  • General engineering contractor “A”
    • C-3 asphalt paving and surfacing;
    • C-9 cesspool;
    • C-10 scaffolding;
    • C-17 excavating, grading, and trenching;
    • C-24 building moving and wrecking;
    • C-31a cement concrete;
    • C-32 ornamental guardrail, and fencing;
    • C-35 pile driving, pile and caisson drilling, and foundation;
    • C-37a sewer and drain line;
    • C-37b irrigation and lawn sprinkler systems;
    • C-38 post tensioning;
    • C-43 sewer, sewage disposal, drain, and pipe laying;
    • C-49 swimming pool;
    • C-56 welding;
    • C-57a pumps installation;
    • C-57b injection well;
    • C-61 solar energy systems.
  • General building contractor “B”
    • C-5 cabinet, millwork, and carpentry remodeling and repairs;
    • C-6 carpentry framing;
    • C-10 scaffolding;
    • C-12 drywall;
    • C-24 building moving and wrecking;
    • C-25 institutional and commercial equipment;
    • C-31a cement concrete;
    • C-32a wood and vinyl fencing;
    • C-42a aluminum and other metal shingles;
    • C-42b wood shingles and wood shakes.
  • Specialty contractor “C”

To see more information regarding contractor licensing, see HAR 77 here: http://files.hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/pvl/har/har_77-c.pdf

Hawaii.gov: Description of Contractor License Classifications http://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2014/08/DescriptionofContractorLicenseClassifications.pdf

Classifications as listed in Chapter 77